Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Artful Home: State Motto Prints by Emily Wick

I spotted these on the lovely Hannah's Printer & Piemaker blog recently, and couldn't resist sharing them here, too.

Oakland artist, archaeologist, and documentary filmmaker Emily Wick has created a set of fifty state prints, each bearing its bailiwick's official motto -- some undeniably corny, others enigmatic, and still others unexpectedly poignant.

Normally, I'd be tempted to snap up the print bearing the exuberant exclamation of my home state, but I must confess that in the wake of last month's election, I'm running a little short on California pride at the moment.

Hopefully, you're feeling a bit better about your favorite state. If so, one of these would make an awfully sweet proclamation of regional pride, or a great gift for loved ones back home.

Each linoleum block-mounted state motto print is $35, while a 20-by-30-inch fine art digital poster bearing the mottos of every member of the union (top) is $150.

See the entire collection right here -- and check out more of Wick's work here.

3 comments:

deerseason87 said...

Oh, I do love these. Thanks for tracking down where to buy them!

Tracey said...

Love the "She flies with her own wings". Too bad it's not my state- maybe I need to move!

Anonymous said...

love this!

 

©Copyright 2007-2014 More Ways To Waste Time and Leah Hennen. All Rights Reserved.